icon important
Your web browser CCBot v2.0 is out of date. You may not be able to complete the registration. Update your browser for more security, speed and the best experience on this site.

Register a food business

When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register with your local authority. You should do this at least 28 days before trading or before food operations start.

Your registration will be sent to the correct local authority based on your trading location.

During this registration, you may come across a few specialist terms, which we have described below:

Food business operator

The operator is the person, charity or company who makes the decisions about the food business. They decide what it serves and how it operates.


The establishment is the location or site of your food business. If it is a mobile food business, please use the location where it is normally stored overnight.