Register a Food Business

When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register with your local authority. You should do this at least 28 days before trading or before food operations start.

During this registration, you may come across a few specialist terms, which we have described below:

Food business operator

The operator is the person, charity or company who makes the decisions about the food business. They decide what it serves and how it operates.


The establishment is the location or site of your food business. If it is a mobile food business, please use the location where it is normally stored overnight.

Registering Local Authority

North Kesteven District Council is the local authority your registration will be sent to. Is this the correct local authority for your business? If unsure please use this Food Business Registration link to check using the location or site of your food business.